Created by Selina Thompson
Curated and presented by The Theatre Centre in Association with Little Black Afro Theatre Company as part of Progress
In three sittings across 24 hours over one weekend in Edinburgh, Selina Thompson wrote 1000 questions about race. You’re invited to answer one of them.
65. Are you black, or are you ‘new black’?
170. What is the long-term psychological impact of white supremacy on people of colour?
220. My mum does not talk about race anymore. It makes her uncomfortable, tired. Will this happen to me?
307. Why do people assume that racism will just passively die out if we wait long enough?
440. Are you angry?
541. What ever happened to Kony 2012?
660. Who is more problematic—famous racist Nigel Farage, or the liberal journalist politely asking him questions?
720. When does it all end?
Race Cards is a constantly growing installation and archive. Each version never takes the same form twice. It’s been a card game, a durational performance, and an 18 hour one-to-one. It has been supported by BUZZCUT, Camden People’s Theatre, Forest Fringe, and FIERCE Festival.
“thoughtful, generous, brave & unspeakably brilliant” – Maddy Costa
Also during Progress, visit a durational video installation to accompany Race Cards in The Theatre Centre Gallery (free).
Race Cards will be performed on:
Wednesday, Feb 7 at 2:00pm
Thursday, Feb 8 at 2:00pm
Friday, Feb 9 at 2:00pm
Saturday, Feb 10 at 2:00pm
Sunday, Feb 11 at 2:00pm
Tickets available here.
All Festival events are physically accessible, and many offer accessible options such as ASL Interpretation, Tactile Audio Display Seating, and free or discounted tickets. For more info on accessibility at Progress, visit progressfestival.org/accessibility