We are partnering with Directors Lab North and Luminato to support 6 artistic directors from the UK to join a group of 30 theatre-makers from Canada and the US, as part of Directors Lab North in June 2018.
The goal of Directors Lab North is to foster both a national and international exchange amongst a community of emerging, mid-level and established career directors and to create a space where they can explore and connect with like-minded peers. Participants will be exposed to foreign techniques and practices, broadening their scope and repertoire through a series of workshops, readings, rehearsals, roundtable discussions, and master-classes that they will lead. They will also get the opportunity to attend a showcase of Canadian and international works and attend networking events at Luminato.
The UK participants are:
- Alix Harris, Artistic Director at Beyond Face Theatre, a performance company based in Plymouth whose mission is to raise the profile and visibility of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic performance
- Caroline Williams, Director, dramaturg and participatory artist from Bristol
- Vici Wreford-Sinnott, Artistic Director of Little Cog, a dynamic disabled-led theatre company presenting ground-breaking new work in the North East of England
- Catherine Paskell, Artistic Director of new writing company, Dirty Protest in Cardiff, Wales
- Anthony Simpson-Pike, Associate Director at Gate Theatre, an intimate theatre in Notting Hill presenting international plays to a London audience
- Dawn Walton, Founder and Artistic Director of Eclipse Theatre Company, a Black-led national production company, delivering diverse programming in theatres across the UK
“The way the world is changing around us demands a collective artistic response: we need to act locally and globally, to come closer together, to share and be open to new possibilities and to continually ask questions to be progressive and tell narratives from a wider diversity of voices in new ways. Working with such a diverse and talented group of international directors means that we can all bring best practice back to our communities: not just for being artists but actively engaged citizens.” - Catherine Paskell, artistic director of Wales' new writing theatre company Dirty Protest, who will be joining Directors Lab North in Toronto
"We couldn't be more thrilled to partner with the British Council this year and welcome these extraordinary UK artists to the Lab. We look forward to nurturing our relationship with the Council and continue to build our international contingent of Labbies.” - Evan Tsitsias, Co-Founder and Artistic Director of Directors Lab North
“We are proud to be partnering with Directors Lab North for the second year and delighted that, with the support of the British Council, six talented UK-based Artistic Directors will be able to participate in the program and experience all that Luminato has to offer. As an international arts festival, we take a keen interest in pursuing meaningful connections between artists working in different parts of the world. This initiative provides one such valuable opportunity and will undoubtedly produce enduring professional exchanges about issues that resonate both here in Canada and around the world.” -Josephine Ridge, Artistic Director of Luminato.